: HEMI Etiquette Help

Keafta
10-06-2009, 11:18 AM
Being that I have had my HEMI for under a year, you can say that I am new to the experience. I was looking for a better understanding as to how I should act/drive my car. I can honestly say that every time I have been at a stop light next to a mustang, they peal out on me and fly down the street. No hand gestures, honking of the horn or eye contact is made what so ever. Which leads me to believe that I am doing missing some HEMI etiquette. For the most part, I am driving with my wife and 7 month old son in the car so I wouldn't race anyway. But I would still like to know if I have been called out for a "street race". I drive the HEMI and my wife drives the SE and she even gets called out when she is alone in the car.

Let me know what you think I should do at the light and tell your experiences at the stop light.

Anguish
10-06-2009, 11:43 AM
You're not missing anything. It's like this. Say you show up at a party with a lady who is clearly the hottest woman in the room. Like it or not, all the dudes there are going to take a shot at tearing her away from you. Even the snaggle-toothed funny-smelling guy with the nervous cough. They want what you've got and they're going to pea**** (that word's going to get sensored, isn't it?) around like their lives depend on it. The Mustang drivers... those guys are the hairy troll from shipping & receiving with a cleft lip, B.O. and a spare tire. Your car is the supermodel. They're just jealous. Just go home, rub your hands up and down her and tell her how much you love her.

P.S. My apologies... it's been about two weeks since I've been able to wash my car by hand and it's getting to me.

Kansas City_Charger
10-06-2009, 11:54 AM
You're not missing anything. It's like this. Say you show up at a party with a lady who is clearly the hottest woman in the room. Like it or not, all the dudes there are going to take a shot at tearing her away from you. Even the snaggle-toothed funny-smelling guy with the nervous cough. They want what you've got and they're going to pea**** (that word's going to get sensored, isn't it?) around like their lives depend on it. The Mustang drivers... those guys are the hairy troll from shipping & receiving with a cleft lip, B.O. and a spare tire. Your car is the supermodel. They're just jealous. Just go home, rub your hands up and down her and tell her how much you love her.

P.S. My apologies... it's been about two weeks since I've been able to wash my car by hand and it's getting to me.

Ummmm is it weird that after reading your post, I want to go home after work and ummmm......give my wife the "BUSINESS" lol?

SOON2BCHARGIN804
10-06-2009, 11:59 AM
I drive a SE so I dont know what yall talking about, lol. But most chargers I see RT or SRT8 drive smooth and calm. The guy up the street has a RT R&T and I never hear his pipes roar or screeching of his tires. But then I see the Mustangs, camaros and they always showoff like they have a point to prove and the ricers....dont get me on them.

Im coming home one night and had a old accord on my a$$ and then he gets on my driver side and then slow down and he almost bump his mirror on mines so thats how close this b**** was to me and pulls off. I wanted to meet him at the light and beat the brakes off of him but I had my son and daughter in the car. Alot of idiots on the road especially I've encounter so many in this Charger.

rotyler
10-06-2009, 12:08 PM

DITTO! I have an SRT 8 and get called out all of the time. I don't play around when I have any kids in the car, but my wife knows that if it's just her and I in the car it's "GAME ON!" Never takes long though.

Part Deux
10-06-2009, 12:34 PM
Anguish, excellent post!

trudyc
10-06-2009, 12:55 PM
anguish said it best, i really like that. never had heard it put that way, cool

IrishChargerRT
10-06-2009, 12:57 PM
I get called out all the time since i have one of the few R/T`s in Reno, but you just have to ignore the urge, Ill admit sometimes it gets to me LOL. And you also get flipped off alot for some reason. The other day I was on the free way behind a car that was going about 60 and so I sped up to 65 and go around them and as I pass them the woman driving gives me the best middle finger I have ever seen, perfect form haha and that whole day i was wondering "what did I do?" But i think its just because i have a nice car and they dont which is a ridiculous concept...

Jaboor
10-06-2009, 01:02 PM

I still like to show them that I have the "Hottest lady" at the Party!!! :rocker:

Repth
10-06-2009, 01:16 PM
I still like to show them that I have the "Hottest lady" at the Party!!! :rocker:

Amen. Literally and figuratively.

torred1771
10-06-2009, 01:19 PM
well, use your best judgement and you will figure it out, but sometimes you just gotta let the power of the hemi out, no way around it!

trudyc
10-06-2009, 02:01 PM
irish i had the same thing done to me but the guy that fliped me off tryed to run me off the road for no reason at all. i pulled over but they went right on buy crazy you dont know what is going to happen

Colossus
10-06-2009, 02:20 PM
Well my take is this:

With great power, comes great responsibility. You know what you have under the hood. Trust me they know that too. Sometimes it's fun to play with other GT's or Shelby's. Kind of like Superman (US) and Green Lantern (THEM) would.

Although I have noticed that Charger folks are way more well mannered than the rest.
I have been called out a few times and responded fewer times. I guess they think the four doors on a sports car lessens it in some way.

I have had three experiences now in which a Mustang GT has tried to goad me on and "shown me up" only to be pulled over a little while later by a cop. Now those were nice moments. And yes I always wave at them while I pass...

Basically, there is no real point being a jackass with jackasses.

trudyc
10-06-2009, 03:06 PM
i got this gto that loves to get beside me and rev his motor up i just gag it and then let off i cant afford a racing ticket

IrishChargerRT
10-06-2009, 03:17 PM
irish i had the same thing done to me but the guy that fliped me off tryed to run me off the road for no reason at all. i pulled over but they went right on buy crazy you dont know what is going to happen
Thats crazy how jealous people get with our cars. Its always when your not expecting it, like the other day I was getting on the freeway and its a lane that you have to merge onto and there was a big rig coming and this guy in front of me is laughing at me in his mirror and he slowed down and then when the truck was right on top of us he floored it and got by and I almost got ran off the freeway by the truck. People have no respect. And its not going to stop. And people like me and you since we have a bright colored car get targeted by stupid people more.

bigjim.srt-8
10-06-2009, 04:33 PM

O.K. that is pretty darn funny!!
I'm staying away from the Funny smelling guy with nervous cough!!!

OP.... when your with Wife and Son.... cruise, they are to improtant to risk!!

Rest of the time..... just stomp on it to the speed limit... then back off....

If you really want to race.... local track is the way to go...:beerchug:

maansman
10-06-2009, 05:54 PM
It's a joke. Happens to me all the time....cars that don't even have a chance try to showboat, like I am impressed or something. Most of the time, if I care, I will laugh and clap my hands, hoping they see me in their rear view.

- Mark

Grimlock
10-06-2009, 06:02 PM
I don't street race, and I don't get challenged. The closest I got to a street race was when I was going down the road next to a Jeep SRT8 I waved at. I had to punch it to make a light, and I guess he assumed we were racing and he took off. I slowed right after the light, but he didn't. I suppose he thought he "killed" me.

I guess I am getting old, but I usually just avoid conflict on the road and save it for the track.

Phanta5m
10-06-2009, 06:05 PM
It's a joke. Happens to me all the time....cars that don't even have a chance try to showboat, like I am impressed or something. Most of the time, if I care, I will laugh and clap my hands, hoping they see me in their rear view.

- Mark

x2... I laugh most of the time:cowsmile:

06Daytona1173
10-06-2009, 10:15 PM
I never race mustangs or ricers....why do I have to "prove" what they know and everyone else knows I already have....why should I lower myself ... everyone knows my Charger has more class. They can't compete.

litig8r187
10-07-2009, 01:12 AM
MY daughter drives my SRT everyday to school. She constantly gets called out. I mean a 5-10 blond high school girl in a black SRT with 22" grey Vipers? She has learned to just laugh at them. Guys are constantly telling her they can take her or tell her she doesn't know what she is driving (they don't believe it has a 420+ HP 6.1 Hemi in it). Trust me, she knows what is in it and what it can do. She knows more about what most of the guys are driving than they do. To those that are persistent, there is a little 1/8 mile strip in town and she invites them out for a Saturday nite grudge match. Few have accepted and those that have went home having their ass whipped by a girl.

On a similar note, I drive an SRT GC. I rarely ever get called out. Probably because no one knows what it is. But every time I drive the Charger, someone tries to run me.

ABSOLUT
10-07-2009, 02:02 AM
here charger owners drive like mustang owners. almost every time I go out I will get a 3.5 pull up next to me and rev the house at me wanting to destroy another ricer lol. 98% of chargers here are v6s with 22s, only a hand full of r/ts here, most owned by older women (Im talkin like 60+), and 2 or 3 srts owned by middle aged men, who actually are pretty cool and get a kick out of riding in my car. seems like srts are more of the car enthusiast men who can respect something that will haul azz, r/ts are for the average person that wants good gas milage, but like the word hemi, and v6s are for ballers.(atleast in my area)

SOON2BCHARGIN804
10-07-2009, 06:29 AM
^^its a couple 60 year olds around here that has R/T...im like damn ol the crown vics was sold out???

NightMare R/T
10-07-2009, 07:36 AM
I drive like my cars a beast...cuz it is. I take from from lights and look at everyone in my mirror WAY behind me. But I do the limit or 5-10 over highway/freeway. I could care less what anyone else thinks when I smash tge go pedel from a light. All that really matters is tge cop with them dosent care because I'm doing the speed limit I just got there faster;)

Keafta
10-07-2009, 09:07 AM

This is possibly the best analogy that I have heard thus far. Great way to put it Anguish.

I get called out all the time since i have one of the few R/T`s in Reno, but you just have to ignore the urge, Ill admit sometimes it gets to me LOL. And you also get flipped off alot for some reason. The other day I was on the free way behind a car that was going about 60 and so I sped up to 65 and go around them and as I pass them the woman driving gives me the best middle finger I have ever seen, perfect form haha and that whole day i was wondering "what did I do?" But i think its just because i have a nice car and they dont which is a ridiculous concept...

The exact same thing happens to me when I pass someone. I am not passing to show off my HEMI, it is simply because you are driving too slow.

Colossus
10-07-2009, 01:19 PM
Let me just say this to all Charger owners. If you ever see a Jeep GC SRT8, DONOT engage it. That bad boy will make anything eat dirt. I drove it at the SRT experience and boy oh boy!

justinkarim
10-07-2009, 01:23 PM

LOL... WELL PUT :bigthumb:

Ron380
10-07-2009, 03:37 PM
I've only been "challenged" once. I was stopped at a red light and a 240sx pulled up on my left. (Not a bad looking car, and some of those are built to the hilt!). His buddy in the pass. seat said, "Hey, let's go man!" I said, "Sure, next time it snows!" There's a minute or two of "huh, what?" between the two of them... I pointed down to where my badges are and said "It's a V6- All Wheel Drive." Then I get the usual reaction of the jaw-dropping, confused look, "That's AWD?" I said, "Yep, see you in January!", and drove off with the green light. :grin:

Grimlock
10-07-2009, 04:04 PM
Let me just say this to all Charger owners. If you ever see a Jeep GC SRT8, DONOT engage it. That bad boy will make anything eat dirt. I drove it at the SRT experience and boy oh boy!

At freeway speeds the Charger (or any LC or LC) SRT8 will eat the Jeep for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Assuming they are all stock.

lovin' it
10-07-2009, 05:35 PM

I like your post humorous but true!:beerchug:

lovin' it
10-07-2009, 05:37 PM

And I want one!!:rocker:

RAINMANyeh
10-07-2009, 07:01 PM
You're not missing anything. Mustangs, Tiburons, misc fast & furious wannabes, and several foreign pickups with V8s around here are always doing similar things. I believe Freud called it HEMI envy.

RTandCobra
10-08-2009, 09:23 PM
This is my first post on this forum, as I just registered and I have had my Charger less than two weeks. I am very impressed with the car. I am also impressed with the mature attitudes displayed in this thread -- letting the ones who want to street race drive on ahead by themselves is a sign of confidence.

Anguish
10-09-2009, 06:49 AM
This is my first post on this forum, as I just registered and I have had my Charger less than two weeks. I am very impressed with the car. I am also impressed with the mature attitudes displayed in this thread -- letting the ones who want to street race drive on ahead by themselves is a sign of confidence.

Welcome to the forum. Rest assured we have our mavericks here and that those that have their heads screwed on a little tighter still have their fun. These are great cars to play with, but most of us here are pretty safe and responsible.

More importantly, we need you to throw up a new thread with PICTURES!

ABSOLUT
10-09-2009, 06:58 AM
I've only been "challenged" once. I was stopped at a red light and a 240sx pulled up on my left. (Not a bad looking car, and some of those are built to the hilt!). His buddy in the pass. seat said, "Hey, let's go man!" I said, "Sure, next time it snows!" There's a minute or two of "huh, what?" between the two of them... I pointed down to where my badges are and said "It's a V6- All Wheel Drive." Then I get the usual reaction of the jaw-dropping, confused look, "That's AWD?" I said, "Yep, see you in January!", and drove off with the green light. :grin:

AWD FTW! I love racin in the snow.:rocker: