Rear Window Shattered on it's own? [Archive] - Dodge Charger Forums

: Rear Window Shattered on it's own?

Jay Bomb
09-29-2009, 01:34 AM
I was walking up to my car tonight in a community garage, once I begin driving I hear the trickling sound of glass breaking. I look back and the rear windshield is about totally shattered and the middle of it the glass appears to be going outward. However it doesn't show any signs of impact. While trying to find the source of the crack, I touch down at the end of the trunk where the glass ends, and the weather seal is worn out with broken pieces scattered. Anyone have a possible idea how this could have happened?

LoneStar
09-29-2009, 04:37 AM
That's the first I have heard of a rear window breaking. I would say it is not a common thing but maybe someone on hear as seen/hear of this happening on another Charger.

FLEX
09-29-2009, 05:28 AM
Last year at work a woman had a side window on her car break on its own.

I personally reviewed the security tapes, and nothing or no one went near the car, yet the window broke somehow.

So I guess it is possible...

-=FLEX=-

ChargeRonDavinS
09-29-2009, 07:09 AM
this happened to my girlfriend's back window but she was in a pretty chitty area... thought maybe it'd be a pellet gun or someone shot it out.. who knows man

Ron380
09-29-2009, 08:29 AM
It could have been a defective window and/or bad installation. The glass was probably under stress, and repeated hot/cold cycles finally caused it to let go.

Hopefully your insurance will cover the replacement! ;)

Inferno2006RT
09-29-2009, 09:03 AM
I have actually seen this happen once before. It happened when it was well over 100 degrees and all of the windows were up in the car and the heat had no where to escape and it blew out the rear window.

HiPwr
09-29-2009, 09:11 AM
There wasn't a tornado in the parking garage, was there? Because a tornado will screw up a window.

black08
09-29-2009, 09:31 AM
Got to be a pellet or bb...they dont just spontaniously shatter. Flex....you would have never seen that on the tape

black08
09-29-2009, 09:32 AM
I have actually seen this happen once before. It happened when it was well over 100 degrees and all of the windows were up in the car and the heat had no where to escape and it blew out the rear window.

Now that is deff possible

Ddaddy
09-30-2009, 01:26 PM
Auto glass is tempered and this kind of spontaneous shattering can happen if there is a defect in the glass...

"Tempered glass is a safety product. If it breaks it will break into small pieces that will not cause life threatening injuries, unlike raw glass that can break into shards that are capable of slicing through flesh and arteries.
Tempered glass can sometime spontaneously explode at some time after manufacture due to an impurity in the glass, although with modern clean float lines this is now a rare occurrence.
The impurity, called a nickel sulphide particle can occasionally be present in the raw glass and during heating in the tempering process they will change phase to a smaller size. They are trapped in this state as the glass is quenched to produce the temper in the glass. However, they WILL, over a period of time, revert back to their original size. This time period can be days, months, or even years. As the particle expands back to its original size it can cause a microscopic flaw which, if it is in the internal tension layer of the glass, will cause the glass to fail."

IrishChargerRT
09-30-2009, 01:31 PM
This seems like the best possibility at this point.

Ddaddy
09-30-2009, 02:03 PM

It may have happened when it was over 100 degrees but it wasn't because the heat had nowhere to go and blew out the glass.

First, cars just are not that air tight to allow any build up of pressure to occur. And second, if that were true then car windows all over Arizona would be exploding in parking lots.

It was more likely a defect in the glass that was the cause and the thermal expansion of the glass in the heat caused enough stress for the glass to fail.

Rob.
09-30-2009, 03:13 PM
...if that were true then car windows all over Arizona would be exploding in parking lots. ...

thatd be pretty cool tho.
and i've seen it happen once on a truck n i've seen other trucks its happened to before but never on a car.

did it start cracking when the car began driving or do you think it was cracked before you got in the car?

Blue Phantom
09-30-2009, 07:08 PM
It might be time for an exorcism - do you know a good priest?

Inferno2006RT
10-01-2009, 01:56 PM
Yea it could be a defect in the glass...When it happened the humidity was really high that day