My cigarette lighter is not working. Help! [Archive] - Dodge Charger Forums

: My cigarette lighter is not working. Help!

cokemoe
09-06-2009, 06:32 PM
My cigarette lighter is not working. I have tested the fuse (slot # 18) trunk fuse box and the fuse is fine. I have also pulled the cigarette tray out, to ensure that both wires are connected properly. The connection is good. Just went over 36,000 miles. Don't want to make a trip to the dealership $$. Has anyone else had this issue? All feedback will be appreciated. Thank you in advance for your assistance this issue.

rodneyiii
09-06-2009, 07:53 PM
Have you tried it with the car on and off? The stock fuse position makes the cig lighter active only when the key is in the ACC or ON position. Does the outlet in the console work?

cokemoe
09-06-2009, 08:24 PM
Yes, I have tried it with the car on and off. The console works just fine. I have also tried moving the fuse to the first two slots. Still no power. I am beginning to wonder if my after market system has somthing to with it. But the after market system works with the (# 18) fuse removed. Any ideas?

mnunes
09-06-2009, 10:14 PM
Is it the cigarette lighter itself that isn't working or are you plugging something else in there and it isn't working? If you're not using the cigarette lighter itself:
1 - try plugging the (whatever it is) into the plug in the center console to see if it works there
2 - use a multimeter to test that you're actually getting both a good ground and +12 in the cigarette lighter plug in the dash. If the ground is bad, the ground connection is up and to the left of the radio opening (inside the dash). It looks like the power goes through a connector behind the glovebox - if the +12 is missing check the connections there.

cokemoe
09-06-2009, 11:02 PM
I will try that later on today. Thanks. You guys are so helful.

wickedchargerrt
09-06-2009, 11:35 PM
the actual cig lighter? or the outlet itself?
cigarette lighters take a crap all the time. the power outlet/cig lighter would have to be checked with a test light against the barrel of the outlet and the center pin for continuity

cokemoe
09-07-2009, 11:22 AM
Okay, the wires are reading 12 volts but the barrrel and the center pin is only reading continuity. So would I be correct to assume that there is an issue with the barrel and not my wires? The part number for the entire tray is (1090080). Do I need to replace the entire tray or just the barrel? Also the center console barrel reads 12 volts. Thanks.

mnunes
09-07-2009, 11:41 AM
Okay, the wires are reading 12 volts but the barrrel and the center pin is only reading continuity. So would I be correct to assume that there is an issue with the barrel and not my wires? The part number for the entire tray is (1090080). Do I need to replace the entire tray or just the barrel? Also the center console barrek reads 12 volts. Thanks.

Just so I understand, it sounds like the wires read 12 volts when disconnected from the outlet. When connected, the outlet center pin to the outlet barrel does not read 12 volts. Correct? Sounds like a bad outlet. If it's not blowing the fuse it's not a short, it's an open circuit (something has come apart). With the outlet disconnected you should be able to use the multimeter to determine whether it's the center pin or barrel that isn't connected anymore - perhaps you'll be able to find an obvious disconnect on the assembly and reconnect it. Otherwise, you should replace it.

cokemoe
09-07-2009, 12:08 PM
Correct. I am now in the process of trying to figure out how to remove the outlet from the tray. Thanks.

Challenger Lover
09-07-2009, 12:42 PM
Now its a good time to quit smoking :D

cokemoe
09-07-2009, 12:48 PM
Nope I don't smoke. I take good care of my body any my car.

cokemoe
09-08-2009, 09:50 AM
Problem solved. I removed my stock cigarette lighter well damanged it in the process. Purchased a new well and ring from the dealership for a total of $33.48. During the install of the new well, I realized through trial and error that the wires were in the wrong location in the harness. I repositioned the wires and got the proper connection. Thanks for all the help!

mnunes
09-09-2009, 01:01 AM
Glad you got it resolved!

ZangetsuCharger
09-10-2009, 08:23 AM
Well seeing that both of my outlets in my car went out, I guess I can seek help here. I also don't have a manual to see what fuse I might need to change if it is the fuse. Can anyone help me out?

mnunes
09-10-2009, 08:52 AM
Well seeing that both of my outlets in my car went out, I guess I can seek help here. I also don't have a manual to see what fuse I might need to change if it is the fuse. Can anyone help me out?

Both are in the trunk. Cig lighter is fuse 18 and has two positions: one that allows the cig lighter to be on with ignition, one to have it always hot. Center console is fuse 9.

If they both blew, there's a reason. What did you plug into them that made them blow? You're going to need to troubleshoot that or replacing the fuses is just going to result in more blown fuses.

ZangetsuCharger
09-10-2009, 09:19 AM
Both are in the trunk. Cig lighter is fuse 18 and has two positions: one that allows the cig lighter to be on with ignition, one to have it always hot. Center console is fuse 9.

If they both blew, there's a reason. What did you plug into them that made them blow? You're going to need to troubleshoot that or replacing the fuses is just going to result in more blown fuses.

Well I had a flat and I used a air pressure pump from a friend, but it did not really fit, and it keep popping out, so we held it in. So I am guessing it blew the fuse, because before I used that, they both worked fine. Thanks for the help. lol