: Which Spark Plug for 5.7L Hemi?

TorDayAZ
07-05-2009, 07:52 PM
From the checker online system, these are the choices for the '06 Charger with a 5.7L Hemi:

Part No. 3570
Champion Spark Plug: Platinum Power; Price Is Per Spark Plug
Platinum Power: 3570 Type; Gap At .045; Per Car: 16
Warranty: Limited 3 Year*
$2.99

Part No. 570
Champion Copper Plus
Copper Plus: Re14mcc4 Type; Gap At .045; Oem Spark Plug; Per Car: 16
Warranty: Limited 2 Year*
$1.99

Part No. 7570
Champion Spark Plug: Double Platinum; Price Is Per Spark Plug
Double Platinum: 7570 Type; Gap At .045; Double Platinum Or Iridium Is Recommended For Waste Spark Ignition; Per Car: 16
Warranty: Limited 5 Year*
$6.59

Part No.
Champion Iridium Spark Plug
Champion Iridium: 9403 Type; Gap At .045; Double Platinum Or Iridium Is Recommended For Waste Spark Ignition; Per Car: 16
Warranty: Limited 84 Month*
$6.99

I want to understand the difference between these. I got talked into special ordering the Iridium plugs. I'm waiting for them to come in. Should I cancel that order and just get the "570"s? I feel like I'm getting ripped off with the more expensive plugs. Would I ever notice any difference?

torred1771
07-05-2009, 08:07 PM
ive been wondering the same thing here......

Gabe
07-05-2009, 09:26 PM
Get the $2 plugs ..... 16 of them :)

That's what they come with from the factory .... no need for platinum in these cars ...

mnunes
07-05-2009, 09:28 PM
^^^^ What he said.

SupremeG
07-05-2009, 09:31 PM
The OEM's are just fine, you'll just be wasting money with the platinums.

TorDayAZ
07-05-2009, 09:48 PM
This is interesting:
http://www.championsparkplugs.com/sparkplug411.asp?kw=Iridium&mfid=2

I guess what that means is, if you're sucking on the bottle, you want Iridium. For the rest of us, OEM is fine. I can buy that. That's kind of what I was suspecting.

Thank god for this forum. The power of information is amazing. It's a lot harder for the service departments and auto parts stores to take advantage of us, because now we ARE making informed decisions.

4FishLimit
07-05-2009, 09:59 PM
In all fairness, their system does recommend the double platinum or iridium plugs, so the salesperson was probably just reading the screen.

It was my understanding that the use of platinum plugs was due to the higher voltages that todays ignition systems produce, copper plugs just don't have a long enough service interval for such conditions.

FWIW, plug info could have been found in your owner's manual :)

LRBaLLa00
07-05-2009, 10:17 PM
Part No. 570
Champion Copper Plus
Copper Plus: Re14mcc4 Type; Gap At .045; Oem Spark Plug; Per Car: 16
Warranty: Limited 2 Year*
$1.99

Rockauto.com has them for $1.62 each... came out to $32.70 shipped.

TorDayAZ
07-05-2009, 10:47 PM
FWIW, plug info could have been found in your owner's manual :)

Being totally lazy here and not getting the manual, because I don't feel like getting out of my chair at the moment - I don't recall the manual saying any specific spark plug part numbers, or whether to use copper, platinum or Iridium. I only recall it saying to change them at 30K.

Is 4FishLimit right, or is the manual vague?

Alfa Charger
07-06-2009, 06:22 AM
Being totally lazy here and not getting the manual, because I don't feel like getting out of my chair at the moment - I don't recall the manual saying any specific spark plug part numbers, or whether to use copper, platinum or Iridium. I only recall it saying to change them at 30K.

The 30K change interval is due to the use of Copper Core Plugs in the 5.7L Engine. If you use the Double Plat. or Iridium, your change interval will become the same as the 6.1L Engine, 100K.

There is no advantage using the precious metal plugs other than the change interval.

Dave

4FishLimit
07-06-2009, 08:00 PM

It's in the back with the rest of the recommended service parts list :D

IrishChargerRT
07-06-2009, 08:05 PM
Just go to napa autoparts, i got 16 plugs for $27

504HEMI
07-23-2009, 04:00 PM
Thanx I needed dat!:beerchug:

RAINMANyeh
07-23-2009, 04:38 PM
Just get the Champion Copper Plus plugs. If you take your time, it should take you about 1 1/2 hours to do change all 16. Don't forget the antiseize (Dodge didn't use any from the factory) and the dielectric grease.

johns2dev
04-03-2010, 06:52 PM
what does it mean when you have oil or some type of liquid on your spark plugs. I changed my spark plugs for the first time and two of them had oil or something on it. I got 90K miles on it and just now changed the plugs.

Franchize48
04-03-2010, 07:05 PM
When I changed out mine I used the platinums but it is strictly preference I just made sure I stuck with champion. Replacing them was a breeze none were stubborn, check the gap though 2 of the 16 I bought were wrong!:beerchug:

RAINMANyeh
04-03-2010, 08:28 PM
Good to hear you didn't have any trouble getting any of them out. I had three that were a biotch to get out as the factory did not use any antiseize on the plugs.

Alfa Charger
04-04-2010, 08:13 AM
what does it mean when you have oil or some type of liquid on your spark plugs. I changed my spark plugs for the first time and two of them had oil or something on it. I got 90K miles on it and just now changed the plugs.

A Spark Plug Tube Seal has failed. Will probably need to replace the Valve Cover Gasket too.

Dave

johns2dev
04-04-2010, 09:51 AM
A Spark Plug Tube Seal has failed. Will probably need to replace the Valve Cover Gasket too.

Dave

Is that something major that will mess up the engine or something. What is it that I need to replace and is it easy to do. Is there anywrite up on this procedure. thanks alot.

Franchize48
04-04-2010, 06:55 PM
Is that something major that will mess up the engine or something. What is it that I need to replace and is it easy to do. Is there anywrite up on this procedure. thanks alot.

It needs to be replaced if this is what the problem is, your plugs can become fouled which in turn could cause a mis-fire in one or more of the cylinders. It isn't very hard to do and not to expensive either, but I am speaking on experiences with other vehicles not the HEMI.

dstrand25
04-04-2010, 11:24 PM
I just ordered the NGK Platinums for mine, about 3 buck each at rock auto.com. I figure if the copper plugs require replacement at 30K and platinums can go for 100K, why not put in the platinums and forget about the next two or three 30K spark plug change intervals? Platinums are marketed as providing a better spark, more power and mpg, etc. but I am not expecting that - just a longer lasting plug.

spooook
08-22-2010, 07:39 AM
Has anyone experienced the new E3 spark plugs in a 5.7 or 6.1?

QuickieG
08-22-2010, 03:48 PM
Just changed my plugs, used the 570 Copper
Car has 30000 miles and a few plugs showed some wear
Took about 2 1/2 hrs, took my time, bought the 4-1/2" plug socket
that helped alot.
Plugs are easy to get to
Removing the coil packs took most of the time
I was able to do the job solo
It was fun to work on a car again
I mostly drive SUV's and they are to high for we to work on
As my most pushed mode of transportion is a wheelchair

I love this car

solinadave
02-21-2012, 11:33 AM
If copper plugs need to be changed every 30,000 miles, and the iridium or platinums go for 100,000 miles, it seems like a "no brainer" to pay a bit more and save yourself the need to change plugs anywhere near as often. Or, am I missing something?

Jonny
02-21-2012, 11:53 AM
If copper plugs need to be changed every 30,000 miles, and the iridium or platinums go for 100,000 miles, it seems like a "no brainer" to pay a bit more and save yourself the need to change plugs anywhere near as often. Or, am I missing something?

The copper plugs are less expensive and people have had fewer problems with them. Some people have had good luck with platinums. The 6.1 and V6 use platinums, the 5.7 comes with copper, I'm figuring that the engineers that designed the engine actually had a clue what they were doing, and used coppers for a reason.

dragbug
02-21-2012, 11:56 AM
Has anyone experienced the new E3 spark plugs in a 5.7 or 6.1?

Curious about this as well. I know there are a lot of false claims out there but I have heard a lot of good things about the E3 plugs. Just wondering if anyone has tried them or know someone that has.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using AutoGuide.com App

Jonny
02-21-2012, 12:11 PM
Curious about this as well. I know there are a lot of false claims out there but I have heard a lot of good things about the E3 plugs. Just wondering if anyone has tried them or know someone that has.

Curious, where in the world did you hear anything good about them?

Anyone that knows how a spark plug and electricity works, knows they are just a marketing gimmick.

I've heard more problems emanating from their use, never heard a positive word outside of marketing.

dragbug
02-21-2012, 12:17 PM
Nothing specific. The last thing I have heard about them was either on Hot Rod TV or Muscle Cars show. Not sure. I realize shows and magazines sometimes get paid to endorse products, however, if a product they endorse is really that bad, I can't imagine that show lasting very long. Which brings us back on topic. My original question was asking if anyone uses or used them and how well they did or didn't work. I am not asking anyone to teach me the proper or improper way a spark plug works. Facts about how they perform, that's what I care about.

Jonny
02-21-2012, 12:42 PM
FWIW, there have been members here that had installed these, they caused problems. They then uninstalled them and the problems disappeared.

I'm surprised HotRod TV is still around, I've seen them plug more than a few worthless products. I'm pretty sure I've seen them plug the Tornado.

dragbug
02-21-2012, 12:44 PM
Thanks. I will try and do a search later when i am on my computer and see what I find.

RAINMANyeh
02-26-2012, 03:31 PM
Just changed mine for the 3rd time and used the Champions Copper Plus plugs again. I was ordering replacement fog light bulbs and went ahead and ordered new plugs too as Advance Auto was running a 25% off sale with free shipping. :bigthumb:

BlueKnights
03-01-2012, 09:43 PM
Don't forget, if you are under warranty you must show a tune-up on the 5.7 every 30,000 miles.

Save money...go Copper.

OzzyNF
03-02-2012, 04:03 AM
what exactly does a tuneup entail in these cars... i know in my trans am...its new dis cap, rotor button, plugs and wires with some grease along the way... but how exactly do we take hemis for a tuneup?

Jonny
03-02-2012, 07:56 AM
Spark plugs. Check/clean air filter. Change oil/filter.

About it.

AKCallahan
07-13-2012, 03:36 AM
Stupid question but must be asked prior to going on with this endeavor...

Where are the cool packs?
What size socket do I need?