Charger Forums banner

Underdrive pulley install was a breeze

3K views 42 replies 9 participants last post by  charged up 28 
#1 ·
Finally got a chance to install my underdrive pulley this weekend. My Dad and I started at 10:30 and were finished by 12:30. Thumper's write up on the install is very good and accurate. We removed the catch cain, CAI, and pulled the fans off through the bottom of the car (we had my Dad's lift from work). The old pulley came off with ease. The new pulley was a little hard to get started but Thumper was correct about grinding down the old bolt to be able to get the new pulley started. After it gets started, just crank away. There is no need to grind down the new bolt for it is the same size as the old one.

Peformance: I can tell a difference (not drastic but my car does feel stronger through out the RPM range. Good mod for the money and time.

#2 ·
Awesome. Glad you did it quicker than me. We were outside in the sun with no lift and a box full of mis-matched tools. It took us a little bit, but it's just nuts and bolts. It's not rocket science :)

It took us a little bit to think of that trick of grinding down the washer on the old bolt and using it to start creeping the new pulley on with. But it worked great. I don't know why more people don't do this mod, especially with us already taking out all the guess work.

If I had the chance to do it again, knowing what I know now, it would be a lickety split job.

I think this is something everyone should do.

Glad yours went smooth!!

#4 ·
I'm mad at myself for not taking pictures during my install.

#6 ·
Thumper, when are you going to the track again to see if that pulley helped out?

#9 ·
Transmission inspection cover. Stuck a screwdriver in there. I didn't use torque specs.

#8 ·
Saturday was the first points race of this years Challenge Series. The track is about 1 1/2 hours away. It was raining pretty badly when I left my house. But, I drove all the way up there because I knew that I'd at least get 5 tech points for showing up. Which goes toward my overall points accumulation. There were 2 other Chargers there with the same idea. We were just sitting there because it was pouring. So I went up to ask the new director about the 5 tech points and he said they are not doing that this year! We were ticked off about that because we all traveled so far. So, we left.

They are supposedly re-scheduling the race for next weekend. But, nothing has been confirmed yet. So, we'll see.

But, with summer coming, our times are only going to get worse and worse until the fall. I'm not expecting to beat my posted time. Not until the fall at least.

#12 ·
Good point, what is the torque spec? And I also used a crowbar on the flywheels bolt to keep it from turning.

#14 ·
I might check mine this weekend too. I'm a strong guy and, if anything, probably over torqued it.

#15 ·
ha, its only a new engine if it flys off, no big deal :grin:

I just put a big breaker bar on the bolt, then start the car. When the breaker bar flings over and hits the ground the motor torques the bolt for me.

:eek: ok, not really

#18 ·
Nope, I wish I were that strong to break a bolt that size. I'd need some serious leverage to do that.

How'd you get that out?

#19 ·
It doesnt take anything to break a bolt that size. You can do it with two fingers if you have a big half inch breaker bar 2 ft long on it.

you have to try and use an extractor kit. Basically drill a hole in the bolt and try to put left handed thread bolt in that hole that tightens as you turn it counterclockwise in hopes that it pulls out the other piece. <-basically
Or you could replace the crank :no:

Takes even less leverage if you hit with a impact.

Hey dont feel bad. When you go back to loosen an overly tightened bolt, you'll get a chance to break it then too. You can break em by loosing and not just tightening

#20 ·
If you're careful there's a way to weld nuts to the tops of your broken bolts. All ya need is a mig welder and some patience. the bolts come right out!

Back on topic tho, is there any pix of this mod? I'd love to have some red pulleys. Since I'm new to Mopars tho I haven't really had a chance to shop around and see what all is available.

#21 ·
ppp/s is chrome and fri's is yellow (i think , from memory) . I think slp makes one too but i dont know the color, havent done any of them. I havent seen any red ones nor is this in a highly visible location or anything. If you have the intake tube on few people are gonna see it

#23 ·
Although it was a new bolt, I cleaned the threads with a thread cleaner/stripper over and over and over again. You'd be surprised how much gunk and metal shavings were actually taken off it, even though it was new. They are NOT quality bolts and the threads are not straight at all. Maybe that's one of the reasons it got so jammed in there?

#24 ·
Absolutely a contributing factor.......I am pretty sure the one in the pic was run in with an impact gun.....another huge no no.The bolt galled before the balancer was fully seated.This was done by the dealer before the car was delivered.After disassembly I found a cam lobe with some bad wear and the lifter was clean....I assume the dealer replaced a bad lifter and not the cam.....anyway......if you are going to draw the balancer in with the bolt always do it by hand so you don't risk hurting the threads.

#25 ·
Hm, now that I think back, I put antiseize on the balancer but not the bolt itself. In fact, I think I put some locktite on the bolt. I hope that doesn't f_ck me up.

#33 ·
Is that a Honda CB400F?

#35 ·
Wow! Was I ever off on that one :)

#37 ·
It looked like a Honda CB...something. I just guessed 400F because they were popular back when they first came out.

Wow, that all black KZ looks nice.

I'm getting ready to trade my CBR in for a new Triumph Sprint RS. I want the hard bags so I can take some nice trips this summer.

#39 ·
Other than looks, you can go wrong with ANY of the Big 4. I had a Yamaha Vstar 1100 that I customed out so much that I used to win trophies at Harley shows. People used to say "Wow, nice Indian" all the time, no kidding. We used to laugh at the Harley guys when they said that :)

It's all in taste, but I like the Yammy. VTX is nice too though.

#41 ·
I can email you more if you'd like. Not sure how good they come out here.

Sorry for the thread jack OP.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.