2006 R/T Navigation Problems [Archive] - Dodge Charger Forums

: 2006 R/T Navigation Problems

SlowSilver06
02-11-2009, 06:27 PM
ok i have i 2006 Charger R/t Hemi with the 6disc with navigation. my navigation just went out. keeps telling me disc error. i had the local dodge dealership replace the entire headunit and i am still having the problem. they want me to spend $210 on a disc which i think is total BS since the nav should still work with an older disc but not have the new updated maps. is there anyway to get a cheaper disc that would work. i have read some of the other threads and pm'd one user on here who said to pm him for the disc info.

i'm just getting tired and just want to have this fixed as my mom also drives the car and likes to use the navigation. any help would be greatly appreciated

Matt

GLHS837
02-11-2009, 07:00 PM
ok i have i 2006 Charger R/t Hemi with the 6disc with navigation. my navigation just went out. keeps telling me disc error. i had the local dodge dealership replace the entire headunit and i am still having the problem. they want me to spend $210 on a disc which i think is total BS since the nav should still work with an older disc but not have the new updated maps. is there anyway to get a cheaper disc that would work. i have read some of the other threads and pm'd one user on here who said to pm him for the disc info.

i'm just getting tired and just want to have this fixed as my mom also drives the car and likes to use the navigation. any help would be greatly appreciated

Matt

Matt, where are you? First thing is to pull the disc and look it over. Here's a pic....

http://www.chargerforums.com/gallery/watermark.php?file=9656&size=1

So, using this get the disc out, and look it over. Look for damage on the surface, just like you would on any disc. If its dirty, clean it, and put it back in.

If that doesnt work, next step is to try another disc. Thats why I asked where you are, you might be able meet with another forum member who can let you try his disc. If its your disc, its your lucky day. I have my two old nav discs, factory ones, one AD version, one AE. Not much else to do with them, seeing as a lot of folks just get pirated versions, so theres not much call for them.

And before you ask, nope, we dont condone piracy, and dont alllow its conduct here, so I cant point you in that direction if you wish. Me, I buy factory discs, figure I cant teach my kids not to steal if I do it.

mdcharger06
02-11-2009, 08:27 PM
i got a friend that works at a local dealership and hey told me that the disc's are programmed to only work for a few years and that way you have to keep buy the new updated nav disc's from dodge.
-mdstratus

GLHS837
02-11-2009, 09:09 PM
I think he's yanking your chain.

mdcharger06
02-13-2009, 07:21 AM
I think he's yanking your chain.
I highly doubt that. Yes I saw your picture. But two years after I bought my car the disc quit working for no reason at all. I took it out and cleaned it and ran a disc cleaner through the dvd slot. nothing corrected it until he found an extra disc at his shop and tried it in my car and all of a sudden the navi was working again. So take it how you want but it sounds like a typical manufactions idea to get more of your money.
-Todd

GLHS837
02-13-2009, 09:29 AM
If that were the case, given that the first cars rolled out in the summer of 2005, we would have seen tons of screaming folks by now. I'm not saying he was lying to you, just that he's mistaken. There's about eleventy billion reasons for a disk to stop working that do not require corporate conspiracy.

Tell you what, I'll start a poll about who has cars older than 2 years with the original disk. Now, keep in mind a few fails wont indicate a conspiracy, any thing made in numbers greater than 1,000 can reasonably expect to fail a few items.

So, what was the build date of your car? And what was the old version of you Nav disc. I assume it was the D version, if your car is a 2006.

Bootstrap
02-15-2009, 08:14 AM
I have an 06 Daytona, the Navigation just stopped reading the disk in December, every now and then it would work again, I put it down to the cold here in NJ. Basically it would tell me "error reading disk" first thing. If I ran the car for 5 minuutes to warm up, stop the car, open the door (to shut off the system) then start the car again it would read the disk. I have been living without navigation for a couple of months (I know the way to work unfortunately), however today I just tried to get it working - no joy. I have cleaned the disk (it has a couple of small scratches) but nothing that should stop it beign read.

I will ask the dealer if he has a disc I can try for a day or two to see if this fixes the issue.

I am also interested to see if these things "fail" after a couple of years.

RScottyL
02-16-2009, 01:07 PM
What I would STRONGLY suggest to anyone that has to use a navigation disc........is to back it up immediately if you ever have to buy a new one. Use the backed up copy instead of your original.

That way, if your backed up copy gets scratched, warped, damaged while in use.....then you can make another backup copy from your original.

You should NEVER use your original printed disc inside the car.....especially since new ones are about $175+.

Bootstrap
02-18-2009, 04:45 PM
OK - so I took my car to the dealer - explained the issue and was told to wait. I saw a guy try a couple of disks and write a whole load of numbers down. He then basically said that he put a new disk in and it was reading OK. No charge - Looks like I may have gotten lucky, I will now purchase a dual layer DVD and back that sucker up (twice), so long as there isn;t any fancy encryption on the disk.

GLHS837
02-19-2009, 09:45 AM
Nope, no fancy encryption, I did it myself a month or so ago.

TheBeastMaster
02-20-2009, 04:28 AM
Mine has a build date of 11/05. I'm still using the original disk, and I've had no problems at all w/the car reading it. That being said, the nav system sucks, and I bought myself a Garmin Nuvi 750 for $195 in Dec. The Garmin is light years ahead of the stock nav unit, and I can use it in my other car as well.

Tomahawk
03-29-2009, 10:14 PM
I have a 12/05 build date and started getting the read error three weeks ago (3/8/09). I was hoping to at least find out what's really going on before going to the dealer. Please save me!

litig8r187
05-30-2009, 11:18 PM
I don't know the exact build date but it was late 2005. My disc just started having problems. I get "disc read errors" after some time of usage or when it is extremely hot (98 today at my daughters soccer game). System gliched yeasterday driving from Houston to San Antonio and never came back. this morning, it worked fine. After I got back in the car this afternoon, it was out again. I have an 07 Jeep GCSRT with the REC. Can I try the Jeep disc to see if it is a disc problem?

ChargerOn22ss
06-02-2009, 01:32 PM
i got a friend that works at a local dealership and hey told me that the disc's are programmed to only work for a few years and that way you have to keep buy the new updated nav disc's from dodge.
-mdstratus

thats jacked, just go find a torrent

Hemiready
08-18-2009, 06:41 AM
Mine is August of 2005. As soon as the weather started getting hot I got the error.
Looks like I need a new disc!

Tomahawk
11-06-2009, 10:06 PM
I got the update disk and everything's working fine now.